Thursday, February 18, 2016

Episode of the day: "My Damn Mind"

"My Damn Mind"

Podcast: This American Life (Episode 579)

"The brain! It's powerful! We have the story of how one man's delusions lead him to a situation that's just as strange as the worst thoughts his mind is cooking up. Our second story is about a man using the power of his own mind to deal with a problem."

Mentally ill unarmed patient admitted to hospital -> shot in the chest by police officer while hospitalized -> charged with 2 counts of assault. Inadmissible sequence of events.

Denial or confrontation? Michael Kinsley mentions that denial of his condition was the cowardly choice. I abundantly disagree. There is a lot of bravery in denying and carrying on.

Listen to "My Damn Mind"

More information:

New York Times

Michael Kinsley

The New Yorker

Old Age: A Beginners Guide

579: My Damn Mind
Alan Pean, with scar from bullet wound.
(image: Chad Batka for the New York Times)




No comments:

Post a Comment